Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Duck Mountain School No. 1179 (RM of Grandview)

The Duck Mountain School District was organized formally in March 1902 and a school building operated on the southwest quarter of 32-25-24 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Grandview. Sometime in the 1940s, the original school building was replaced by the present structure, a two-classroom metal building that featured girls’ and boys’ washrooms and forced-air heat provided by a large furnace.

The school closed in 1967 and its remaining students went to Grandview Consolidated School No. 2447. The former school building was used for a time as a granary. It now stands vacant in an agricultural field, partially obscured by shrubbery. A stone monument nearby was dedicated on 11 August 1985.

Duck Mountain School

The first Duck Mountain School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 72.

Duck Mountain School

The former Duck Mountain School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 451.

Duck Mountain School

The two-classroom metal building of Duck Mountain School (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Duck Mountain School

The building was heated by a furnace in the addition at right (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Duck Mountain School

Interior of Duck Mountain School (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Duck Mountain School

Interior of Duck Mountain School (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Duck Mountain School

Furnace used to heat the school building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Duck Mountain School

Duck Mountain School monument (June 2012o)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.20294, W100.81187
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.