Historic Sites of Manitoba: Drury School No. 1671 (RM of Mountain)
The Drury School District was established formally in March 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northeast corner of SE23-39-26W in what later became the Rural Municipality of Mountain. The school closed permanently in June 1967 and the district was dissolved later that year. Its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. The original school building was still standing at the time of a 2015 site visit.
Among the teachers of Drury School were Jack Hooke (c1918), Theodore Sigurdson (1921-1922), and Evelyn Olfrey (1963-1967).
School District Formation Files [Drury School District No. 1671], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2017
Back to top of page