Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dollard School No. 1686 (Lewis, RM of Whitemouth)
The Dollard School District was established in July 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW29-10-11E in the Lewis area of the Rural Municipality of Whitemouth. After the school closed, the building was moved to Medika. Only its concrete foundation remains at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Dollard School through the years were Margaret Elder (1925), Lillie Brynelan (1930), Joseph A. Loucks (1935), Agnes Adamek (1940), Agnes Zadorozny (1945, 1960), Anthony Kozachenko (1950), and Edward Krysko (1955).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails to Rails to Highways edited by Bob Porth and Craig MacKenzie, Whitemouth Municipal Museum Society, 1979.
We thank Robert Porth for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2014
Back to top of page