Historic Sites of Manitoba: Demonstration Farm House (44 Water Street, Killarney, RM of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
A two-storey wood frame residence in Killarney, a municipally-designated historic site in the Rural Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain, was the home of the manager for an agricultural demonstration facility established sometime between 1913 and 1915 by Killarney resident George Lawrence when he was Manitoba’s Minister of Agriculture and Immigration. The purpose of the facility was to identify and promote farming practices and crop varieties suited to this region of the province. The demonstration farm was closed in 1946 and this building was later used as a Royal Canadian Mounted Police barracks, a private school, and a museum. As of 2016, it is being renovated for use as a local arts centre.
Photos & Coordinates
Marriage registration [Ernest Sidney Hayter], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Killarney folk farewell Hayter,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 October 1927, page 8.
Obituary [Nelson Stewart Smith], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 March 1941, page 2.
The Ministry of Agriculture in Manitoba, 1870-1970 by J. H. Ellis, Winnpeg: Manitoba Department of Agriculture, December 1970, pages 252-255.
Demonstration Farm House, 44 Water Street, Killarney, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Kim Langen, Eunice Buhler, Monica Ball, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2019