Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Davidson School No. 1250 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)

The Davidson School District was organized formally in August 1903 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW1-35-28W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. Low student enrollment forced the school to close in 1955, after which students went to Kenville School. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division.

Among the teachers of Davidson School were Miss Mae Anderson (1904-1906), Miss Laura Latimer (1906-1907), David Rees (1907-1908), Miss E. Armistead (1908-1909), Miss Ruby Lennox (1909), Miss S. Allen (1909-1910), Miss L. French (1910-1911), Miss Latimer (1911-1912), Miss McKinnon (1912), Miss Boler (1912), Miss Gordon (1912-1913), Miss Laura Latimer (1913-1917), Miss V. Gray (1917-1919), Miss Reid (1919-1920), Miss Parkman (1920-1921), Miss Matchett (1921-1922), Miss Hinchcliffe (1922-1924), Miss Harvey (1924-1925), Miss Holden (1926-1928), Miss Lillian Harvey (1928-1931), Miss Alice Hanson (1931-1933), Miss Edith McArthur (1934-1936), Miss E. Shier (1936-1939), Miss Ruth Bolton (1939), Miss Wilde Crane (1939-1940), Miss Meekan (1939-1940), Einer Einersson (1940-1941), Miss S. Einersson (1941-1943), Miss Ellen Walton (1943-1944), Miss Donalda Coutts (1944-1945), Miss J. MacLeod (1945-1946), Miss Alice Finlay (1946-1947), Mrs. E. P. Stevens (1947-1950), Miss Elin D. Roye (1950-1952), and Miss E. Maksimow (1952-1955).

Davidson School

Davidson School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 85.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.96883, W101.34429
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Davidson School District No. 1250], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

Kenville, Ruby, Mt. Crest, Davidson, Harlington, Square Plains, Pretty Valley by Kenville Reunion Committee, July 1977.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.