Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chain Lakes Quaker Meeting House / Dand United Church (Dand, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built in 1899 as a Meeting House for adherents of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), at the site of the Chain Lakes Cemetery, the congregation united in 1925 with one at Lauder to establish the Dand Union Church, later becoming Dand United Church. in 1949 the building was moved to Dand in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. Closed in 2005, the building was moved in August 2020 to a site near to its original one on the shore of Chain Lakes (about N49.36403, W100.49483).

Clerics

Period

Cleric

Before 1949

See Chain Lakes Cemetery

1949-1950

Rev. A. Lockham

1950-1952

Rev. R. D. Thompson

1952-1958

Rev. R. E. Clark

1958-1960

Rev. Carol Palmer

1960-1965

Mr. Leslie Jameson

1965-1968

Rev. Kim S. Warne

1968-1972

Rev. James A. Uhrich

1972-1979

Rev. Donald W. R. McLeod

1979-1982

Rev. I. Marguerite Miller

1983

David Ewart

1984-1987

Barbara Isabelle Cook (1930-2017)

1988-1991

Gwen Nicol MacDonald

1991-1992

Alice and Bill Hogman

1992-1996

Alan Armstrong

1996-?

Beth McLean

?-2005

?

Photos & Coordinates

Dand United Church, formerly a Quaker church at Chain Lakes

Dand United Church, formerly a Quaker church at Chain Lakes (September 2013)
Source: Ken Storie

Interior of the former Dand United Church

Interior of the former Dand United Church (August 2020)
Source: Grant Cassils

The former Dand United Church in preparation for being moved

The former Dand United Church in preparation for being moved (August 2020)
Source: Grant Cassils

The former Dand United Church being moved

The former Dand United Church being moved (August 2020)
Source: Grant Cassils

The former Dand United Church at its present site

The former Dand United Church at its present site (August 2020)
Source: Grant Cassils

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.34018, W100.49464
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chain Lakes Cemetery (Municipality of Grassland)

Chain Lakes Quaker Church, Turtle Mountain Souris Plains Heritage Association.

Sources:

Golden Memories: A History of the Dand Community compiled by the Dand Women’s Institute, 1967, pages 3-14.

This 121-year-old church is returning home with a new purpose,” CTV News, 31 August 2020.

We thank David Ford for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Grant Cassils, Ken Storie, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 February 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.