Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Daly Union School No. 193 (Municipality of Riverdale)

Established in February 1884, the Daly Union School District was the first in the Rural Municipality of Daly (now part of the Municipality of Riverdale). A one-room schoolhouse opened a few months later at NW32-11-21W. In 1893, it was moved one mile west, to SW6-12-21W. Declining enrollment forced it to closed in 1951. Students were transported to Brooke School at the Rivers Air Training Centre. The district was dissolved in 1966 and its catchment area became part of the Rivers Consolidated School District. The former school building was removed from the site and renovated into a private residence.

The teachers who worked at Daly Union School through the years were Louis Sherrin (1884), W. A. Sherrin (1885-1886), Mina Gillanders (1887), Maud Mitchell (1888), Miss Preston (1889), Jennie Smith (1890), D. W. Best (1891), Miss Cameron (1891), P. D. Tyreman (1892), Louise Murray (1893-1894), Clara Graham (1895), Wilemine McIsaac (1896-1897), Etta M. Moore (1898-1899), Agnes Mott (1900-1901), Viola Pollock (1902), Mrs. Grierson (1903), Miss Sharman (1904), Lila Neiland (1905), Sadie Archibald (1906-1907), Edith Haig (1908), Miss Robinson (1909-1910), Pearl Graham (1911-1912), Miss Ross (1913), Sarah Johnson (1913-1915, 1917), Bessie Archibald (1915-1917), Edith McMillan (1919), Reta Wilmott (1920), Mae McFadden (1921-1922), Irene Cunningham (1922-1924), Edith Lowe (1924-1925), Nellie Sibbald (1925-1927), M. Richardson (1927-1928), M. Mylrea (1928-1929), Miss Lelonde (1930-1931), Elizabeth McKenzie Holidays (1932-1933), H. Damson (1933), Elaine Evans (1934), Wretha Curl (1934, 1936), Edith Dyer (1934), Mavis Hamlon (1937-1938), Gladys Pue (1941), Lillian Porter (1942), Flora Brown (1943-1944), Isabelle Sinclair (1944), Miss Dunlop (1945), E. M. Kirton (1945), H. Fedorwick (1947), E. Barkwell (1947), Marion Doherty (1948), Beatrice Treloar (1948-1949), Shirley Armstrong (1950), Ethel Clark (1950), and Fred Harvey (1950-1951).

Daly Union School

Daly Union School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 67.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.97534, W100.34718
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Bradwardine and District: A Century and More, 1880-2003 by Bradwardine History Book Committee, 2003.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.