Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dakota School No. 1056 (RM of Grey)

A monument marks the site of Dakota School, which opened in March 1900, in a one-room schoolhouse at 13-8-4W in the Rural Municipality of Grey. As the local population grew, the need for a larger school became dire so the school trustees purchase 3½ acres of land at NE14-8-4W but a building was not constructed there until 1937. Ten years later, it was put on a full basement and larger cloakrooms, indoor toilets, and a new coal-fired furnace were added. The school closed permanently in 1964, remaining students went to Elm Creek Consolidated School No. 812, and the school district was formally dissolved in July 1966. The building stood vacant until 1967 when it was sold and demolished. The monument was erected in 1992, for the Elm Creek centennial year, and dedicated to the pioneers, teachers, and students of Dakota School.

Among the teachers of Dakota School were Mr. Lindsay, Miss M. Wilson, Miss Linnie Kennedy, Mr. Dodds, Nora Broadworth (1904), Harry Wilson, Mr. Conde, Alex Farquar, Kathleen Walmsley (1914), Jenny Dean (1915), Hazel Armstrong (1917), Alice Young (1918), Lillian Armstrong (1919), Mary Owens (1920), Ethel Groves (1920), and Beatrice Hutchings (1920).

Dakota School

Dakota School (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 48.

Dakota School commemorative monument

Dakota School commemorative monument (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.65903, W97.89154
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century of Memories: Elm Creek Centennial History Book, 1892-1992 edited by Doug and Hazel Frost. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.E46 Cen]

Ripples from the Creek by Edith Anne Baragar, 1969, pages 90-91.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 June 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.