This three-storey brick apartment block on Hugo Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect George William Northwood and constructed in 1908 by the construction firm of Griffin Brothers at a cost of $40,000 for owners William Pitt Alsip and Robert Walter Paterson. The 95 by 43 foot building contained seven apartments.
Memorable Manitobans: George William Northwood (1877-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: William Pitt Alsip (1859-1944)
Memorable Manitobans: Robert Walter “Pat” Paterson (1876-1936)
Manitoba Business: Griffin Brothers
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1908/1497, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.
Page revised: 28 November 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.