Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crane School (888 Crane Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The ten-classroom elementary school was established in the Fort Garry School District No. 2047. It became part of the Fort Garry Municipal School District No. 2361 in 1959 then, later that year, part of the Fort Garry School Division. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Prain and Ward and built at a cost of $145,000. The school opened on 1 September 1955. Three years later, six more classrooms were added at the cost of $90,000. The school converted to French immersion in the Fall of 1987 and was renamed Ecole Crane.

In 2004, a garden in front of the school was dedicated to late Principal Elizabeth Irene Bennett, and a commemorative plaque was affixed.

Principals

Period

Principal

1955-1962

Cornelius V. Thiessen

1962-1965

Walter Regehr (?-2018)

1965-1969

?

1969-1972

Virginia Andrew

1972-?

?

?-1979

Dennis Wilson

1979-1987

?

1987-2004

Elizabeth Irene Bennett (1946-2005)

2004-?

Michèlle Manaigre-Sims

?-2014

Anna Zonneveld

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

Crane School

Crane School (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Commemorative plaque for former Principal Elizabeth Irene Bennett at Crane School

Commemorative plaque for former Principal Elizabeth Irene Bennett at Crane School (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Choir at Crane School

Choir at Crane School (1960-1961)
Source: Christopher Pate

Site Location (lat/long): N49.83682, W97.14548
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 December 1954, page 29.

“Fort Garry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 August 1955, page 3.

“Three new mayors in metro suburbs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 October 1957, page 1.

“C. V. Thiessen head Valley teacher group,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 November 1957, page 2.

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 January 1958, page 26.

“Principal to speak,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 March 1963, page 17.

“School’s reopening to affect others,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1979, page 3.

“Fort Garry School Board retirement announcement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 June 1985, page 10.

“South Winnipeg schools switching principals,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 July 2004, page 67.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank Christopher Pate for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 25 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.