Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hathaway School / Coxworth School No. 1785 (Hathaway, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Known as Hathaway School when it was established in April 1915 at Hathaway in the Rural Municipality of Winchester, it was renamed a few months later for local municipal councillor W. J. Coxworth, probably to avoid confusion with Hathaway School No. 717. Its original name came from the Hathaway station along the Canadian Pacific Railway line here.
The school closed in June 1964 and its district was dissolved in 1966. Its catchment area became part of the Deloraine Consolidated School District No. 2448. The former school building was moved to Hartney where it was renovated into an insurance office. A monument at the original site commemorates it, along with the Hathway Pool Elevator situated near here from 1928 to 1970 (now privately owned), and the Hathaway Curling Rink from 1949 to 1976.
Among the teachers of Coxworth School were Evelyn Mullett (1957-1960) and Miss Shirley Stovin (1964).
Our Heritage by Regent Women’s Institute, c1967, pages 45-46. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.R44 Reg]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
We thank Brad Coe, Jack Vandusen, and Ken Storie for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 January 2018
Back to top of page