Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cowan Ridge School No. 2305 (RM of Mountain)
The Cowan Ridge School District was established formally in October 1945 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE26-35-23W in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. At the time of a 2015 site visit, only the foundation for the former schoolhouse remained at the site, along with a commemorative monument dedicated on 5 August 2000.
The teachers of Cowan Ridge School were Effie Semeniuk (1946), Paul Mayuk (1947), Ernest J. Hrushowy (1948-1949), Peter Rudy (1950), Marjorie Holowka (1951), Elsie E. Domaratzki (1952), Olga Seminchuk (1953), William Burdeniuk (1954), Alex Kreshewski (1955-1958), Melvin F. Skulmoski (1959-1962), Sylvia M. Bartko (1963-1964), Natalie L. Wilson (1965-1966), and Shirley Nadolney (1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Cowan Then and Now: 1898-2010 by Cowan History Book Committee, 2010, pages 313-319.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 February 2019
Back to top of page