In 1901, Winnipeg approached American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for a grant to construct its first public library. Twelve years later, city council again approached Carnegie for funds to construct two more libraries, St. John’s Library in the North End and this one. Designed by local architect S. F. Peters, this branch opened in June 1915. It is a municipally-designated historic site and, in 2015, it received an MHS Centennial Organization Award.
Cornish Library (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.87841, W97.15980
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carnegie Library / City of Winnipeg Archives (380 William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John’s Library (500 Salter Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Famous Places: The Cornish Library - 70 Years Old by Christine Melnick
Manitoba History, Number 9, Spring 1985
Cornish Library (20 West Gate), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1992.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.