Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cloverdale School No. 577 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Cloverdale School District was organized formally in April 1889 and a school building operated at NW4-14-4E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. Around 1904, a new one-room schoolhouse was built on the original site and, in 1923, a second room was added for high school classes. The third school building, a two-classroom configuration, was constructed in 1951, with grades 1 to 6 in one room and grades 7 to 11 in the other. It closed in 1967 as jurisdiction for the area became the responsibility of the Lord Selkirk School Division. The two-classroom school building stood vacant at the site until the spring of 2013 when it was demolished.
Among the teachers of Cloverdale School were Miss Cornish (1919), Peter Loutit (1920), Audrey Linklater (1934-1938, 1952-1955), Miss Winter (1950s), Mrs. Cheslock (1967), and Mr. Chezick (1967).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Audrey Blommaert and Lorraine Barnett for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 February 2022