Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clarke School No. 2278 (RM of Rossburn)
The Clarke School District was established in February 1937, using some of the land from the former Hranko School District, and a one-room schoolhouse opened at NE25-20-24W in the Rural Municipality of Rossburn. The district was named for school inspector J. W. Clarke. The school closed permanently in 1960 and the district was dissolved in 1965. Its area became part of the Rossburn Consolidated School District and later the Pelly Trail School Division. No vestige of the former school remains at the site.
The teachers of Clarke School were Miss Bugera, Miss Polka, Mr. Halas, Miss Lesiuk, Miss N. Ponchuk, Miss J. Rudneski, Miss J. Matiowsky, Mr. Zatylny, Mr. E. Trakalo, Miss E. Shmyr, Miss R. Melnyk, Miss Chastko, Miss Dutkiewich, Mrs. E. Pawluk, Mr. Zurbyk, Mr. B. Betz and Mrs. McNulty.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2015
Back to top of page