This Anglican church in Stonewall was constructed in 1882 on a design by Winnipeg architect Mancel Willmot. Quarry owners and stonemasons Enoch and Joe Williams donated the stone for constructing the church which was probably done with volunteer labour. The parochial hall, east of the church, was built in 1901 for $815. The chancel was added to the main structure in 1906.
Among the clerics who serviced at this church was Reverend Frank Green (1881-1885).
Anglican Church of the Ascension at Stonewall (July 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Anglican Church of the Ascension at Stonewall (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Interior of the Anglican Church of the Ascension at Stonewall (November 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.13638, W97.32914
denoted by symbol on the map above
Stonewall, Turning a Century 1878-1978 edited by Mervin E. Farmer, Interlake Publishing, 1978. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Rose Kuzina, and George Penner.
Page revised: 26 December 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.