The site of this church near the community of Randolph in the Rural Municipality of Hanover was once in the village of Chortitz (pronounced “gor-teetz”) within the Mennonite East Reserve. Named for a site in Russia from which local Mennonites had emigrated, the only vestige of the former village is a subtle hump adjacent to the road allowance where the main street used to be. The church was constructed between 1896 and 1897 on a design by Gerhard Schroeder (1848-1910) of Eigenhof. It was used for services until 2010. The building, designated a municipal heritage site in January 2014, is now used for community events.
Chortitz Heritage Church (September 2015)
Source: Ernest Braun
Interior of the Chortitz Heritage Church (October 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.54622, W96.83082
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chortitza Mennonite Cemetery (Randolph, RM of Hanover)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historical Atlas of the East Reserve Illustrated, edited by Ernest N. Braun and Glen R. Klassen, Manitoba Mennonite Historical Society, 2015.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Ernest Braun.
Page revised: 18 October 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.