Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chief Peguis Junior High School (1400 Rothesay Street, Winnipeg)
Located in the River East School Division in North Kildonan, this school was built in 1969 on designs by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. Built at a cost of $1.8 million, it was opened officially at a ceremony on 23 April 1970, attended by Chief Albert Edward Thompson and Amy Louise Clemons, both descendants of Chief Peguis, for whom the school is named. Also present were Premier Ed Schreyer and Principal Henry Schmidt. A peace pipe was passed amongst the dignitaries and powwow dance were performed, the latter marking the first time that a Manitoba public school was opened this way. Initially, the school hosted 850 students in grades 7 to 9 although now it has grades 6 to 8. In 1996, a 23,000-square-foot community health and fitness centre was built beneath the school at a cost of $300,000.
Photos & Coordinates
“Parents’ course planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 September 1969, page 34.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 April 1970, page 63.
“Street gang leader gets bail, curfew,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 March 1985, page 3.
“Ban on bars seen as positive step,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast, 15 November 1987, page 4.
“Peguis track proceeds to construction phase,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review West, 14 August 1996, page 3.
“Residents need help,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 December 1996, page A6.
Obituary [Tosie Dong], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 August 2001, page C8.
“NK bands bring home gold,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review Northeast, 27 March 2002, page 1.
“Visa issue bars teen from competition,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 July 2008, page B2.
Vertical files, Schools - Chief Peguis, Manitoba Legislative Library.
We thank Waldi Wawrykow for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 16 August 2019
Back to top of page