Historic Sites of Manitoba: Castagnier School No. 1183 (RM of Cartier)
The Castagnier School District was established in May 1902 and a school operated at SW2-10-3W in the Rural Municipality of Cartier. The school closed permanently in 1929. The district was dissolved in 1957 and its catchment area was added to the Fannystelle Consolidated School No. 767. In 1990, the building still stood at SW34-9-3W in the RM of Grey but it was gone at the time of a site visit in 2013.
Among the teachers of Castagnier School were Miss Turenne (1902), Adrienne Normandeau, Flora Bissette, Caroline Gousseau, Albert Prendergast, Donalda Champagne, and Adrienne Lachance.
Elie East topographic map, 62H/13, Edition 2, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 April 2015
Back to top of page