Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carruthers School No. 2188 (RM of Hanover)
The Carruthers School District was established in October 1928 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW33-5-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. The original structure was replaced by a wood frame building. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. The school closed in June 1968 and the former school building was sold for $1 and moved to a park south of Grunthal for use as a museum. A commemorative sign was erected in 2005-2006 by the Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk (1939-2006) and the District School Heritage Association.
Among the teachers who worked at Carruthers School were Alvina Dueck, Walter Bugera, Lawrence McGill, J. F. Baitson, Mildred Siemens, Miss Block, Erdman Friesen, Harold Dyck, Mrs. S. B. Regier, and John Frank Boitson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Obituary [John Frank Boitson], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1968, page 33.
Obituary [Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 2006.
We thank Ernest Braun for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 November 2020