Historic Sites of Manitoba: Caron House (50 Cass Street, Winnipeg)
Charles and George Caron were French-speaking farmers from Quebec. Arriving in this area in 1880, they lived on the south bank of the Assiniboine River. Their farm comprised a large barn, cheese factory, blacksmith shop, and a windmill for pumping water. The Carons used a ferry to transport their agricultural produce across the river for sale in St. Charles. In 1891, George Caron became an Assessor for the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia and, in 1901 when this house was built, Reeve. He became Provincial Inspector of Public Institutions in 1907, responsible for the operation of the Brandon Asylum, Portage la Prairie Home for Incurables, and Selkirk Asylum. After his death in 1912, Caron’s widow and children operated the farm until the 1940s, when it was sold and the surrounding land was subdivided for residential development.
In 1948, the house was sold to the Lafleche family who resided here until 1960. Norman and Wilma Fraser lived there until 1978 when it was sold to the City of Winnipeg. It was occupied by a series of tenants but was subject to periodic fires and vandalism. In 1980, due to the efforts of Verna Van Roon, the 20-acre Caron Park was established and restoration of the house was undertaken by the Charleswood Historical Society. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
The Caron House (50 Cass Street, Formerly 71 Xavier Drive), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1980.
“Historic Caron House in Charleswood ready for viewing” by Donna Minkus, The Metro, 30 March 2016, page 7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 January 2020
Back to top of page