Historic Sites of Manitoba: Caranton School No. 526 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
Caranton School was established formally in March 1888 and a school building was erected in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1903 and rebuilt one mile north on land donated by W. H. Latimer. It closed in 1945 and its remaining students went to Boissevain School No. 373. The district was dissolved in 1967. The wood frame school building is no longer present at the site but it is commemorated by an innovative monument constructed with the iron wheel of an old steam-powered tractor.
Among the teachers of Caranton School were Robert Fletcher (1888), Charles H. Vrooman (1897), Nellie Irvin, Jean Craig, Alberta Roe, Emma Hammond, Jennie Taylor, and Randolph Cottingham.
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 155-157.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 January 2017
Back to top of page