Historic Sites of Manitoba: Campeau School No. 971 (31 Paul Boulevard, Winnipeg)
The Campeau School District was established in May 1898 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on Lot 180 in the Parish of St. Norbert. It was replaced by another one-room building around 20 lots south of the original site, on the east side of St. Mary’s Road. In March 1959, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the St. Vital Municipal School District No. 2374.
The site is now used by a school bus transportation company, and the school building is still present, using as a private residence. In the early-1970s, a collection of school registers for the period from 1924 to 1955 were found in the attic of the former school. They were given to the St. Vital School Division and later transferred to the Le Centre du patrimoine of La Société historique de Saint-Boniface.
Among the teachers of Campeau School were A. C. Joyal (1915), Agnes Courchaine (1923-1925), Clara Campeau (1925-1926), Marie Anne Cote (1926-1927), Laura Longpre (1927-1928), Anna Toupin (1928-1929), Alfred Moran (1929-1932), Marguerite Royal (1932-1933), Marguerite Remillard (1933-1934), Sylva Landry (1934-1935), Mary Deverell (1936-1938), Therese Jutras (1938-1939), Clemence Aquin (1939-1940), Pauline Simon (1940-1942), Lucille Bourgouin (1942-1943), Stella Helene Dancho (1946-1947), Lorraine St-Germain (1947-1951), Margareth Molodoshanin (1953-1954), and Dorothy Munro (1955-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Normand Boisvert, and Corinne Tellier, and the Le Centre du patrimoine of La Société historique de Saint-Boniface for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 16 April 2018
Back to top of page