This two-storey brick building at the northeast corner of Salter Street and Flora Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 60 feet by 64 feet, was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1911 by day labour for owner Maier Calof (c1868-1951) at a cost of about $14,000. The building originally contained open storage, public and private office space, and a showroom on the main floor while the entire second floor was warehouse space.
The first occupants in the building were the Goldin Brothers Wholesale Grocers who remained here until the 1930s. It was occupied by Standard Dairies Limited in the 1940s.
The building has been extensively renovated and, at the time of a 2022 site visit, it was occupied by a used furniture store.
Calof Warehouse (December 2022)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91391, W97.14174
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 187/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Former Winnipeg businessman dies in Los Angeles,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 November 1951, page 8.
Max Blankstein: Architect by Murray Peterson, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, 2022.
Page revised: 14 June 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!