Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Buckingham School No. 604 (RM of Wallace)

The Buckingham School District was organized formally in August 1889, named for local resident Bill Buckingham. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NE3-11-28W on the banks of Gopher Creek in the Rural Municipality of Wallace. In 1929, the building was moved a mile west, then in 1937 another mile west to SE8-11-28W. There it remained until permanent closure in June 1965. The district was dissolved later that year and its catchment area became part of the Elkhorn Consolidated School District. The building was sold and moved to a farmyard where it was destroyed by a lightning strike. A commemorative monument at the former site was dedicated at a ceremony on 28 June 1987.

Among the teachers of Buckingham School were Sarah A. Sproat, Florence Langrill (1908), Susie Rodgers (1909), Mrs. Jennie Thomson (1910-1916), Florrie Good, Elaine McLeod, Miss Hanna, Edith Gee, Ella Sinclair, Miss Thordarson, Verlie Metcalf, Catherine Gibbings, Elsie Lennon, Beth Wilson, Mary Gardiner, Violet Tapp, Phyllis Day, Alice Wickham, Edith Mitchell, Elveretta Thomson, Mary Veasy, Lillian Richardson, Bessie Montgomery (9 years), Stan Sokalski, Lois Leigh, Betty Lou Finney, Ede Chappel, Gladys Scramstead, Jo Stonehouse, Violet Switzer, G. E. Morris, Cecile Stevenson, Joy Chambers, and Gladys Snyder (1962-1965).

Buckingham School

Buckingham School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 95.

Buckingham School

The remodelled Buckingham School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 95.

Buckingham School

Buckingham School Monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.90130, W101.24022
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Binding Our Districts by History Book Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.H374 Bin]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 March 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.