The Buchan School District was established formally in April 1917 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE9-13-9E in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet. It was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
Among the teachers of Buchan School was Elsie Finnie George (1937-1941).
Buchan School with its three-room teacherage at left (late 1930s) by Elsie Finnie George
Source: George Stewart
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.08229, W96.29209
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Buchanan School (815 Buchanan Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Molson West topographic map, West sheet, 62I/1, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Eileen George and George Stewart for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 June 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!