Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bru Frikirkju Lutheran Church (RM of Lorne)
The first Icelanders in south-central Manitoba built a church at Grund in 1889. A second church was built in 1910 at SE 21-6-13 west of the Principal Meridian, approximately 10 miles northwest of Baldur in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. According to local sources, the total project including an original oak interior and leaded stained glass windows cost congregation members a total of $5,000. All building materials were imported from outside the area for master builder Jon Olafsson of Glenboro. Present for the first service on 6 November 1910 were Rev. B. B. Jonasson, Rev. Jon Bjarnason, and home pastor Rev. Fridrik Hallgrimson. The equally beautiful and slightly older Grund Lutheran Church could be found a few miles south and west of the Bru Church.
After 1985, only weddings, funerals, and special services were held at the church, with the last one held at Christmas 1990. The church was moved to its present location, two miles south of Cypress River, in August 1997, and was used until 2014 as a restaurant and banquet venue called Cafe Bru. It is now operated as a Bed & Breakfast.
Pioneers Perseverance & Progress: Cypress River Addendum 2000 by Cypress River History, 2000, pages 15-17, 51.
Frikirkju Lutheran Church (Bru Lutheran Church), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Justin De Baets and Shannon De Baets for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Ed Grassick and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 December 2018
Back to top of page