The Brown School District was established formally in January 1891 and a school was erected the next year, on NE22-4-27W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. It closed in 1959 and the district was dissolved in 1961. The remaining students went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440. The school building was later moved to Melita where it was renovated into a private residence. A monument commemorates it at the original site. The plaque on the monument gives its name as “Browns School” but available historical records indicate the name was Brown. Some records for the school are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita.
Brown School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 98.
The former Brown School building in Melita (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 131.
Brown School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.32546, W101.03132
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 August 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.