Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brown House (714 Lorne Avenue, Brandon)

This two-storey residence on Lorne Avenue in Brandon was built in 1899, possibly for hardware merchant John Brown. He lived here until around 1908 when he moved to Toronto. Subsequent occupants have included wholesale grocer Frank W. Smith of the firm Smith and Burton (c1908 to c1918), W. H. Davidson (c1918 to 1925), and pharmacist Patrick Angus Kennedy (1925 to 1950).

Brown House

Brown House (March 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84521, W99.94790
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Patrick Angus Kennedy (1880-1962)

Sources:

1901, 1906, and 1911 Canada censuses, Automated Genealogy.

“Galbraith - Boyd,” Brandon Sun, 7 July 1904, page 18.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

714 Lorne Avenue, Heritage Brandon.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 18 July 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.