Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Gaol and Court House (525 Victoria Avenue East, Brandon)

Brandon’s importance as a major centre in southwestern Manitoba was confirmed when it was selected in 1883 as the headquarters for the newly created Western Judicial District of Manitoba. The Brandon Gaol and Court House was designed by Charles Osborne Wickenden, architect of the Winnipeg (1883) and Neepawa (1884) court buildings. The skill of the architect and the craftsmen is evident in the fine architectural detailing and intricate brickwork. Officially opened in March 1884, the Italianate-inspired structure is the oldest remaining court house on the Prairies. Completion of this structure ushered in an early stage of substantial government building construction in Manitoba. When the new Brandon Court House opened on Princess Avenue in 1910, this structure was remodelled for gaol facilities. It served as a detention centre until 1979. The renovated building is now part of a residential complex for senior citizens. A plaque was erected at the site in 1988 by the Manitoba Heritage Council.

Brandon Gaol and Court House (October 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.84322, W99.93148
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Court House (1104 Princess Avenue, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Brandon Court House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch

Brandon Court House and Gaol, Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 August 2012

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.