Historic Sites of Manitoba: McCabe Grain Elevator / National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (Pacific Avenue, Brandon)
The history of ownership of this grain elevator, along Pacific Avenue in Brandon, is illustrated on its four sides. It was built around 1937 for the McCabe Brothers Grain Company, as revealed by the name painted on its west side. In 1965, the company erected six steel grain tanks and a feed processing mill immediately east of the elevator. McCabe sold its elevator network to United Grain Growers in early 1968 but this facility was excluded from the deal. Later that year, however, McCabe’s remaining assets were purchased by National Grain Limited of Winnipeg, named on its east side. The elevator (and the nearby mill) was bought in 1974 by Cargill Limited, whose corporate signage is displayed on its north and south sides. At one time served by a spur line of the CPR Carberry Subdivision that ran along its north side, there is no longer any rail service to the building. It is slated for demolition but was still standing at the time of a December 2018 site visit.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“McCabe Grain opens new plant here,” Brandon Sun, 3 December 1965, page 11.
“United Grain Growers buy McCabe elevators,” Brandon Sun, 29 February 1968, page 39.
“National bids to buy McCabe,” Brandon Sun, 5 September 1968, page 3.
“Criticizes purchase,” Brandon Sun, 29 March 1974, page 4.
“Cargill opens new elevator in Brandon,” Brandon Sun, 2 February 1978, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 September 2020