Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon City Hall (818 Princess Avenue, Brandon)

Planning for the Brandon City Hall began in 1890. A site on Princess Avenue between Eighth and Ninth Streets was selected and, after a series of delay, a two-storey building was designed by local architect William R. Marshall, constructed by local contractor Fred T. Cope, and supervised by Frederick J. Chubb. It opened in February 1892. Replaced by a new building in 1971, the old hall was demolished in March 1971.

Postcard view of Brandon City Hall

Postcard view of Brandon City Hall (circa 1908)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0028

Postcard view of Brandon City Hall

Postcard view of Brandon City Hall (date unknown)
Source: Jack Stothard

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84665, W99.94940
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: CKX Radio Building (220 Eighth Street, Brandon)


This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 June 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.