Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boyne Creek School No. 620 (RM of Victoria)
The Boyne Creek School District was established formally in May 1890. The next year, for a total construction cost of $476, a one-room frame school was built at this site in the northwest quarter of 10-7-10 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of South Norfolk, on land purchased from farmer John Cooper. The school took its name from the nearby creek. It opened in June 1891 with teacher Mr. M. W. Leigh and 12 students.
During its 68 years of operation, there were 235 students in grades 1 to 8, taught by 57 different teachers. The school also served as a community social centre. In 1901, municipal boundaries were realigned placing the school in the Rural Municipality of Victoria. School consolidation in January 1959 resulted in the closure of Boyne Creek School in June of that year, with the remaining students going to Treherne Consolidated School No. 537. The school building was then sold and moved to another site. A commemorative monument was erected in July 1994 on land donated by Ray and Leona Timmerman and family, and dedicated to the students, teachers, and residents of the Boyne Creek district.
Among the teachers of Boyne Creek School were Norman Spencer (1891) and Miss McFarlane (1905).
Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 43-44.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 26.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 July 2018
Back to top of page