Historic Sites of Manitoba: Blue Wing School No. 2245 (RM of Shellmouth-Boulton)
The Blue Wing School District was established in March 1934, named for the nearby Blue Wing Lake, and a one-room wood frame schoolhouse operated at NE26-24-27W in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Shellmouth-Boulton. The school closed in 1966, the district was dissolved the following year, and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a metal sign commemorates it.
Blue Wing School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 123.
Blue Wing School sign (August 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N51.10544, W101.14140
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.