Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Black Building (80 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg)

The original two-storey portion of this structure on the south side of Lombard Avenue in Winnipeg, nestled in its northeast corner, was built in 1896 for commission merchant Thomas Black. Two years later, a three-storey addition to the rear was completed. It was expanded again in 1907-1908 on designs of architects Hooper and Walker. The new four-storey expansion measured 62 feet by 62 feet and was constructed of brick, masonry, and heavy timber with modern plumbing, electric lighting, and an elevator. A fourth floor was also added to the 1898 expansion. The project was completed at a cost of around $50,000.

Acquired for $30,000 by Scott-Bathgate in mid-May 1944, the building became a municipally-designated historic site in January 2017.

Sketch of the newly constructed Black Building

Sketch of the newly expanded Black Building with the original two-storey structure at its left side (1907)
Source: “New warehouse and office building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 October 1907, page 5.

Black Building

Black Building from the west side (May 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Black Building

Black Building from the east side (May 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89528, W97.13368
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Black (1856-1914)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scott-Bathgate Building (149 Pioneer Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“City and General [Four big building permits],” Manitoba Free Press, 25 June 1907, page 22.

“Building and real estate [New warehouse for Thomas Black],” Manitoba Free Press, 29 June 1907, page 29.

[Photo caption, “New warehouse and office building,”] Winnipeg Tribune, 28 October 1907, page 5.

“To let [Thomas Black],” Manitoba Free Press, 9 November 1907, page 3.

“Lombard St. fire alarm,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 November 1908, page 8.

“Biscuit firm buys black building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 May 1944, page 4.

80 Lombard Street, Winnipeg Building Index.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 May 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.