Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birnie School No. 465 (Birnie, RM of Rosedale)
Birnie School No. 465 was originally formed in 1884 as North End School in the southeast quarter of 14-17-15, west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale. It was moved into Birnie and a new brick school built beside it in 1909. This second building, constructed on a design by architect Samuel Hooper, was later moved to Glenella and used as a church. The final school building, dating from 1954, closed formally in January 1968 and was later used as a community hall and nursery school.
Among the teachers of Birnie School were Mr. Fedorchuk (1951-1952) and Iva May Eros (1954).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Marriage and death registrations [Iva May Eros], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East of the Mountains: Eden-Birnie Story, Wards 2 and 5, Rural Municipality of Rosedale, Manitoba: 1877-1984 by Eden Birnie History Book Committee, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E35 Eas]
The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 161.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Glen Gibbons for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 10 July 2018
Back to top of page