Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birch Lake School No. 1743 (RM of Grahamdale)
The Birch Lake School District was organized formally in April 1914 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northwest corner of NW10-23-5W in the Rural Municipality of Woodlea, in what later became the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. In 1936, the district became part of the Woodlea Municipal School District. A two-room teacherage was present at the site by the 1960s. The school continued to operate until joining the Lakeshore School Division in 1967.
Among the teachers at Birch Lake School were Evelyn Townsin (1941-1942), Abe Penner (1942-1943), Joyce Eleanor Barnett (1943-1944), Stella Audrey Starkell (1955-1956), Elaine Margaret Georgina Neely (1956-1957), and Harry J. Warwick (1959-1967).
School District Formation Files [Birch Lake School District No. 1743], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Birch Lake School District #1743 - Daily Registers, GR3613, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Woodlea Municipal School District #1589 - Birch Lake School (Woolsery School) Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 1589 - Woodlea (General) - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 July 2020
Back to top of page