A two-storey residence on College Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in 1906 for businessman Olivio Biollo and his brothers Angelo and Santi. Rabbi David Cantor and his family were long-time occupants of the house, from 1920 to 1945. There used to be a large balcony on the first and second floors of the house. Its playful tower on the northwest corner has led to it being called “The Castle.”
Memorable Manitobans: David Cantor (1865-1953)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mount Royal Hotel / Wellington Hotel / Garrick Hotel (287 Garry Street, Winnipeg)
The Castle of College Avenue (2). The Biollos’ Fall by Christian Cassidy, West End Dumplings.
“The Castle” - Rabbi David Cantor House, 494 College Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
This page was prepared by Kerrin Asmundson, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 September 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.