Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bender School No. 1449 (Bender Hamlet, RM of Armstrong)
Located in the Jewish community of Bender in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong, the Bender School District was established in March 1908. A one-room schoolhouse operated at this site until the the mid-1920s. With families moving away from the settlement in the latter 1920s, the number of school age children dropped dramatically. With too few pupils to support a teacher, district students began attending nearby Narcisse School. With only five school-age children remaining in the district by the fall term of 1932, it was dissolved in January 1933. The catchment area was dispersed between the adjacent districts for Fish Lake School, Narcisse School, and Sandridge School.
Among the teachers of Bender School were J. Gamm (1915), Bertha Michnick (1916), E. A. Berry (1916), Sara Meltzer (1917), Ida Levites (1918), R. Calof (1918), Rebecca Bell (1919-1920), G. Rodin (1920), Bernhardina Abraham (1921), Sophie Kalamovitch (1922-1923), and William George Cooper (1931-1932).
“Bender S.D. No. 1449,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 March 1916, page 17.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (Schedule: E 0757), GR 1628, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Bender School District No. 1449, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR11220), Bender School District No. 1449 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR11219), Harold Edwards School District No. 2340 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 3 July 2016
Back to top of page