Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belfry School No. 626 (RM of Arthur)
The Belfry School District was established in January 1891, with a frame building erected in the southwest quarter of 12-4-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Arthur. Land for the school was provided by local farmer Warren Belfry, from whom the school name was derived. Five years later, the building was moved to its present location at SW5-4-27W. It was closed between June 1940 and January 1945 due to low student enrollment. The school closed permanently in June 1962 and the remaining students were bused to Elva School, Pierson School, or Melita School.
Some of the teachers who worked at Belfry School included: Miss Hope (1907), Miss Wheeler, Miss Rodgers, Miss Carson, Miss Fizzell, Miss Pheonix, Miss Archibald, Miss Strong, Miss Wells, Miss Shands, Olive House, Ruby Fletcher Reddaway (1939-1940), Miss Munro, Melba Dobbyn, Miss Cooper, Miss Stamper, Hazel McLintock, Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Roblin, and Mrs. Betty Pederson (1961-1962).
Belfry School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Our First Century, Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur: 1884-1984 by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, page #.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Harvests of Time: History of the R.M. of Edward by Edward History Book Committee, 1983, page 140.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 July 2014
Back to top of page