Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Pakistan Lecture 2019
Pakistan
Lunch &
Lecture

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belcourt School No. 1694 (RM of St. Francois Xavier)

On 12 June 1888, the Rural Municipality of Belcourt passed a bylaw forming the Baie St. Paul West School District. A one-room Protestant school named Baie St. Paul No. 534 was built on part of River Lot 137 in the Parish of Baie St. Paul. On 5 August 1913 the district was divided and the part north of the Assiniboine River became Belcourt School District No. 1694, keeping the original school building, while the portion south of the river remained the Baie St. Paul West School District No. 534. The school closed in 1965. The building and grounds were purchased by the community from the Portage la Prairie School Division. The building served the social needs of the community until 1986 when it was replaced by a new structure. A commemorative monument was installed during the summer of 1995.

The teachers who worked at Belcourt School were Bertha Totten, Margaret E. Wood, Martha D. Crowe, Hazel J. Miner, E. M. Code, E. M. Lovell, Nora Zotyna, Edith M. Reid, E. Ledger, Violet I. Bruce, M. Finlay, Charles Ursel, Lionel Clench, Sybil Caithness, Pat Milbrandt, Robert McElroy, Marge Knight, Bertha Hilding, Evelyn McKinstry, Jessie Hay, Lara Christianson, Helen McGowan, Edna Klein, Mr. Boyd, Evelyn Marlow, T. Sveinbjornson, Alice Sydor, A. Dirks, Doris Horosko, Florence Hogue, Florence Wicklow, Ilona McLean, Jan Augustin, Carol Everett, and Violet England.

Belcourt School

Belcourt School (no date) by E. D. Parker
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 18.

Belcourt School monument

Belcourt School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.048294, W97.864480
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baie St. Paul West School No. 534 (RM of Cartier)

Sources:

Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 25.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

We thank Shirley Christianson and Nathan Kramer for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 July 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.