Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bede School No. 1683 (Municipality of Two Borders)

Bede School opened in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders in May 1913, in the southeast quarter of 19-5-26 west of the Principal Meridian, and operated until June 1966. At that time, its remaining students went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440. The building stood vacant at the original site for some time, but at the time of a 2011 site visit, it had been repaired and was being used by a business selling local crafts.

The teachers of Bede School were Jean Dunbar (1914-1916), Rhea Forder (1916-1917), John Gilmore (1917-1918), Meda Wright (1918-1919), Thora Sigurdson (1919-1920), Emma Bambridge (1920-1921), Jack Ashley (1921), Katherine Fraser (1921), Muriel Bulloch (1922), Gladys Staples (1923-1924), Eva Wright (1924-1926), Irene Baskier (1926-1931), Mable Clement (1931-1932), Ada McMunn (1932-1934), Margaret Anderson (1934-1938), Helen Shier (1938-1939), Mrs. Little (1939-1940), Jean Gunn (1940), Mrs. Gerda Petersen (1940-1941), Ruby Cook (1941-1942), Francis Johnson (1942-1943), Gertrude Mason (1943-1944, 1945-1946), Wilma Kemp (1944), Freda Vigar (1944-1945), Norman Taylor (1946-1947), Lorraine Dagg (1947-1948), Joyce Mason (1948-1949), Ruth Talman (1949-1951), Adarene Berns (1951), Joe Shygol (1951), Leila Roby (1952), Donelda Cook (1952, 1954-1955), Allyne Adie (1952-1953), Allen Burton (1953), Sarah Reimer (1954), Darl Carr (1954), Don Merritt (1954), Glen Cullbertson (1955), Mrs. Jane Carr (1955), Don Breault (1955-1956), Evelyn Robinson (1956-1957), Verna Halls (1957-1962), Mrs. E. Maxwell (1962-1963), and Mrs. H. Lamport (1964-1966).

Bede School during operation

Bede School during operation (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 16.

The former Bede School building

The former Bede School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 21.

Bede School before renovation

Bede School before renovation (2004)
Source: Lynn Jones

Bede School after renovation, now a gift shop

Bede School after renovation, now a gift shop (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.39975, W100.96578
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Lynn Jones.

Page revised: 2 August 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.