Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beaudry School No. 1249 (RM of Macdonald)
The Beaudry School District was established formally in April 1902, and in late 1903 a 20 by 24-foot wood frame school building was constructed on the southwest corner of NW25-8-2E in the Rural Municipality of Macdonald, on one acre of land purchased for $30 from farmer Hyacinthe Bohemier. Named in honour of Father Beaudry, the first Roman Catholic priest at the nearby community of La Salle, the school hosted an average of 16 students in grades 1 to 9. The school closed in 1959 when it was consolidated with St. Hyacinthe Consolidated School No. 2373. The building was purchased by a local farmer and moved to his property and the site reverted to farmland with no vestige remaining of the school’s presence.
The teachers who worked at Beaudry School included: Delphine Cyr (1918-1921), Georgine Lacerte (1918-1921), Catherine Schmidt (1918-1921), Gabrielle Trudeau (1918-1921), Antoinette Langevin (1927-1928), Mathilda Houde (1928-1934), Leona Bourbonnais (1934-1935), Amelia Gobeil (1935-1936), Louise Pelissier (1936-1937), Rose Lavoie (1938-1940), Ida Beaudette (1940-1944), Jeannine LaBossiere (1944-1946), Miss DeMoissac (1947-1948), Agathe Trudeau (1948-1949), Bertha Briere (1950-1951), Priscille Cormier (1951-1953), Therese Aubin (1953-1954), Raymonde Tougas (1954-1957), Olive Durand (1957-1958), and Beatrice Cormier (1958-1959).
St. Adolphe East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Then to Now: The History of La Salle, Manitoba by La Salle History Book Committee, c1986 [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.L385]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 September 2014
Back to top of page