Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bathgate Block (242 Princess Street, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick building, designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Barber and Barber, was erected between 1882 and 1883 at the northwest corner of Princess Street and Alexander Avenue for William Bathgate. Bathgate owned the building until 1888 when a Quebec-based financial firm took control of it. The block’s long-term occupants included a tent and canvas manufacturer (1891 to 1926), a foundry (1924 to around 1973) and a washing machine merchant (1926 to around 1950). Other tenants included wholesalers, manufacturers, and commission agents. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.

Bathgate Block

Bathgate Block (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90263, W97.13923
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Bathgate Block (242 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, October 2004.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 January 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.