Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rivard School / Barras School No. 1947 (RM of Ste. Anne)

Known as the Rivard School District when it was organized formally in January 1919, its name was changed to Barras sometime before 1944. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NW32-8-8E in the Rural Municipality of Ste. Anne. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Seine River School Division.

Barras School

Barras School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 65.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.70721, W96.46895
denoted by symbol on the map above


Richer West topographic map, 62H/9 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.