Historic Sites of Manitoba: Barkham School No. 1197 (RM of Macdonald)
Barkham School District was established August 1902 and a frame school building was erected at the southwestern corner of SW15-9-2 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Macdonald. The land was donated by a farmer named Hewett and the school was named in commemoration of the hamlet in England from which he had immigrated. Classes commenced in May 1903 with 17 students. The school closed in 1955 due to declining enrollment. The district was formally dissolved in January 1959 and remaining students went to Oak Bluff Consolidated School No. 600 or Ste. Hyacinthe Consolidated School No. 2373. The site is now occupied by a private residence.
Among the teachers who worked at Barkham School were Mr. E. McKenzie (1902), Charlotte Smith, and Marguerite Masson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Oak Leaves: A History of the Oak Bluff District by Oak Bluff Women’s Institute, 1984. [MHS Library]
Then to Now: The History of La Salle, Manitoba by La Salle History Book Committee, c1986 [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.L385]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 September 2014
Back to top of page