Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (Rivers, Municipality of Riverdale)
This two-storey building at 141 Main Street in Rivers, in the Municipality of Riverdale, was opened in July 1910 for the Canadian Bank of Commerce (later CIBC). It replaced the bank’s original branch opened two years earlier in the Korman Block on Second Avenue. In order to keep up with demand for new Western Canadian branches, the bank approached its architect, Darling and Pearson of Toronto, to design a series of three simple but solid buildings that could be easily replicated. The plans were then sent to the BC Mills Timber and Trading Company of Vancouver for prefabrication and delivered by rail when ordered by the bank. It is thought that 70 of these structures were erected in Western Canada between 1906 and 1912.
CIBC closed the branch in 1935. The building was the municipal hall for the Municipality of Daly until the 1950s, then a mixed commercial residential building, and finally an apartment block. In 2008, it was converted into a single family home and designated a municipal historic site the following year.
Photos & Maps
The Story of Rivers - Prepared to Commemorate 50 years of Town Incorporation by G. F. Barker, 1963.
The B.C. Mills Prefabricated System, Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History No. 14, Parks Canada.
Canadian Bank of Commerce, 141 Main Street, Rivers, Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 351.
Rivers, Manitoba B.C. Mills prefab Bank of Commerce building for sale, West End Dumplings by Christian Cassidy.
We thank John Everitt for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 8 May 2017
Back to top of page