Managers | Photos & Maps | Sources
This two-storey building in Elkhorn, in the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, was built for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. It opened in October 1912, replacing the bank’s original branch that opened in 1903 and destroyed by fire in March 1912. In order to keep up with demand for new branches in western Canada, the bank approached its architect, Darling and Pearson of Toronto, to design a series of three simple but solid buildings that could be easily replicated. The plans were then sent to the BC Mills Timber and Trading Company of Vancouver for prefabrication and delivered by rail when ordered by the bank. It is thought that 70 of these structures were erected in western Canada between 1906 and 1912. This is a rare example of the bank occupying one of these buildings into the 21st century. In January 2017, it was announced that the branch would close on 18 August 2017.
E. M. Saunders
Rowland Henderson Brotherhood (1871-1952)
C. F. Ronnie
J. A. Courts
A. J. Alley
S. A. Newman
G. A. Richards
J. L. Matchett
B. E. Stevenson
E. J. Clayton
Mrs. G. Neild
Canadian Bank of Commerce building (November 1982)
Source: John Everitt
Rear view of the Canadian Bank of Commerce building (1987)
Source: John Everitt
The former Canadian Bank of Commerce building after its closure (October 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Location (lat/long): N49.97509, W101.23849
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Canadian Bank of Commerce
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1982: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, 1982.
BC Mills kit Bank of Commerce in Elkhorn Closing, West End Dumplings by Christian Cassidy.
“Future of building central issue at Elkhorn CIBC meeting,” The World Spectator (Moosimin, Saskatchewan), 6 February 2017.
The B.C. Mills Prefabricated System, Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History No. 14, Parks Canada.
We thank John Everitt, George Penner, and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Christian Cassidy.
Page revised: 19 February 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!