Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria Presbyterian Church / Victoria United Church and Cemetery (Wavy Bank, RM of Rockwood)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This United church in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood is situated southeast of Balmoral, northeast of Stonewall, in an area known as Wavy Bank. Constructed in 1883, the church was closed between 1917 and 1925. In the latter year, the congregation united with that of the Balmoral Methodist Church to form the Victoria United Church. A decrease in the number of congregants led to a reduction in the frequency of services, from monthly as of May 1949, to annually in June 1968. The first burial in the associated cemetery occurred in 1880.

Clerics (Victoria Presbyterian)

Period

Cleric

1882-1891

Rev. Alexander McFarlane

1891-1892

Rev. W. J. Hall

1892

Rev. Samuel Polson

1892-1894

Rev. Alexander Hamilton

1894-1896

Rev. Donald McLeod

1897-1903

Rev. A. G. Bell

1903-1905

Rev. J. C. Madill

1906-1910

Rev. Robert Boyle

1910-1915

Rev. James Whillans

1916-1917

Rev. C. D. Campbell

Clerics (Victoria United)

Period

Cleric

1925-1927

Rev. J. B. McLaren

1927-1928

Rev. Gilbert S. Curtis

1928-1929

Rev. T. W. Bailey

1929-1931

Rev. N. R. Wright

1931-1934

Rev. J. Edgar Clarke

1934-1935

Rev. G. A. Austin

1935

Rev. Dr. Scott

1935-1937

Rev. Donald MacTavish

1937-1940

Rev. L. L. Meech

1940-1941

Rev. J. F. H. Barber

1941-1947

Rev. C. D. Rupp

1947-1948

Rev. I. Kemlo

1948-1957

Rev. Joseph Wiznuk

1957-1959

Rev. R. F. McPherson

Photos & Coordinates

Victoria United Church and Cemetery

Victoria United Church and Cemetery (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Interior of Victoria United Church

Interior of Victoria United Church (April 2020)
Source: George Penner

Victoria United Church and Cemetery

Victoria United Church and Cemetery (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.24103, W97.28966
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Balmoral Methodist Church / Balmoral United Church (Balmoral, RM of Rockwood)

Sources:

100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982, pages 97-99.

A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.

Victoria Church Cemetery - Balmoral MB, Waymarking.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Rose Kuzina, George Penner, and Peter McLure.

Page revised: 7 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.