Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Balmerino School No. 615 (RM of Ellice)

The Balmerino School District was organized formally in March 1890 and a one-room school building operated at this location in the Rural Municipality of Ellice. It closed in 1952 and the remaining students went to Binscarth Consolidated School No. 2326. The building is no longer at the site but a small concrete model commemorates it.

The teachers of Balmerino School included Elizabeth Ebbert (1906), Kate E. Drysdale (1907), Margaret G. Valens (1907), Ethel M. Clare (1908), Lillian Orr (1908-1911), Ethel C. Cass (1911-1914), Violet Clements (1914-1915), Margaret H. Bailey (1915-1916), Clair McDiarmid (1916-1920), Catherine Johnson (1920, substitute), Lelia P. Matheson (1920), Eva F. Marlin (1921-1924), J. McNeil (1924, substitute), Olive Margaret Mayhere (1924-1926), Gladys E. Mason (1926-1927), John Maxwell “Jack” McGilvray (1927-1930), Lovine McFarlane (1930-1933), Laura Louise Johnson (1933-1938), Evelyn Minnie Dunfield (1938-1940), Wilhelmina “E.” Ross (1940-1941), Eva Pearl Tilbratts (1941-1945), Ninaleu Duke (1945-1946), Jean Elizabeth Burdett (1947-1948), Ida Margaret Rowan (1948-1949), and Darlene Ann Darker (1949-1950).

Balmerino School

Balmerino School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 97.

Balmerino School

Balmerino School monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.57298, W101.27000
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2061), Balmerino School District No. 615 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 16 March 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.